Spring has arrived, and you’re likely feeling that urge to get things ready for summer. As that fresh air moves in, you’re probably dusting, cleaning, and airing things out.
But you may have forgotten one important thing: Have you spring-cleaned your air conditioner?
Many of us forget that air conditioner maintenance is one spring cleaning item that can save us lots of cash. Maintaining your AC should be more than simply changing a filter or checking batteries. And, while it may sound complicated, it really isn’t.
Keep reading for some simple AC maintenance tips that will help keep you cool all summer.
Maintenance Tips for Your Outside Unit
Performing some simple cleaning of your outside unit can really make a difference. As much as 40 percent of the energy used to cool your home could be wasted if you don’t properly maintain your unit.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Remove all debris from off the unit and clean the surrounding area.
- Clear all branches and plants within two feet of the unit to allow for proper air flow.
- Rake up any lingering leaves.
- Turn off power to the unit, then carefully remove the outer covers.
- Using a vacuum brush, remove all outside dirt and any remaining debris.
- Then follow up with a light hose off, spraying through the fins. If the unit is particularly dirty, a specialized cleaning spray can be used.
- Fix any imperfections you notice in the unit, including bent fins.
- Check the leveling. An out-of-level unit can cause the compressor to fail more quickly than it should.
Indoor Air Conditioner Maintenance Tips
Once you’ve finished outside and have replaced the unit cover, it’s time to check your indoor cooling components.
Here are our tips for maintaining your indoor unit:
- Clean your system’s evaporator coil and unclog the drain if need be. Research how to clean air conditioning coils if needed.
- Check the thermostat and perform any cleaning and battery replacements that are required. A properly performing thermostat is essential for keeping your bills down!
- Reset the thermostat if needed.
- Clean all vents to make sure they are free of dust and debris. Any obstructions should also be moved.
- Replace your air filter and check it monthly, even if the filter shouldn’t need to be changed that often.
Lastly, ceiling fans can be a great help to lowering your air conditioning bills. Dust all fans and set rotations to counterclockwise. This will force cool air downward.
Call for Help When Needed
Despite your regular maintenance, it’s a good idea to have an HVAC servicing professional check your air conditioner occasionally. Repairs and installations should be done by trained technicians.
Technicians can also perform maintenance tasks that you cannot.
Begin Maintenance Today
Maintenance of your AC unit can really go a long way, so don’t forget to include it in your regular spring cleaning checklist. If you wait until your AC acts up, you may end up needing to pay thousands of dollars to replace it.
Instead, regularly perform these simple air conditioner maintenance tips to keep your cooling system running smoothly. It’ll save you in the long run!
To contact us about your air conditioner, visit our website or call us at 262-691-0402.