IHN Company is your source for foundation maintenance and repair in Milwaukee, yet we want you to know what you can to do avoid problems in the first place. Often the right prevention measures can help you avoid unnecessary repairs and the risk of water in your property.
When it comes to foundation maintenance, Milwaukee property owners can tackle much of the job themselves, if they have the right knowledge. Maintenance is necessary on both the interior and the exterior of the building in order to maintain the foundation well.
Exterior Foundation Maintenance: Milwaukee Best Practices
Exterior maintenance focuses on keeping water flowing away from the foundation. You can do several things to ensure that this happens, such as:
- Pitch all grading around the building away from the building, aiming for two inches per 10 feet.
- Run downspout and gutter extensions at least five feet away from the building.
- Pitch all concrete surface areas, including driveways, away from the building.
- Clear out and maintaining downspouts.
- Grade the yard to help water drain as quickly as possible.
Interior Foundation Maintenance: Milwaukee Best Practices
For complete foundation maintenance, Milwaukee area property owners must also look inside their buildings. Your goal with interior maintenance is to ensure that any moisture that comes into the building is removed promptly. To do this, you can:
- Maintain the sump pump, checking for proper operation.
- Open the Palmer Valve, keeping it clear so it can properly drain.
- Test to see that the sewer lateral to the street is clear of debris and flowing freely.
- Run your basement dehumidifier at all times during the humid months from May through December.
If you need any help with foundation maintenance in Milwaukee and the surrounding communities, IHN Company is ready to help. Give us a call at 262-785-9080 to discuss your foundation maintenance needs or to get a quote for Milwaukee foundation repair services.